White SAIT Logo

Student Finance

Student Tax Receipts (T2202A) Frequently Asked Questions

The T2202A (Tuition, Education & Textbooks Amount Certificate) is a tuition and education tax credit certificate issued by a post-secondary institution to certify a student’s eligibility for tuition, education and textbook amounts.

Eligibility Information

Am I eligible for a T2202A form?

T2202A forms are issued to students who are over 16 years of age before the end of the taxation year. Students who were less than 16 years of age before the end of the taxation year (Jan. to Dec.) and who took courses at the post-secondary level can obtain their T2202A by emailing tax.questions@sait.ca.

To be eligible for the tuition tax credit, you must have total eligible tuition fees exceeding $100 in a taxation year (Jan. to Dec.).

Students must be enrolled in a course of studies that is considered post-secondary level education, or a course of studies that allows the student to obtain or improve skills in an occupation in order to be eligible for a T2202A.

I took Academic Upgrading or English Language Foundations. Am I eligible for a T2202A form?

No, Academic Upgrading or English Language Foundations are not eligible as they are not post-secondary level education.

My T2202A form does not match the amounts that I paid to SAIT.

The T2202A form only reflects the eligible fees for courses occurring within a tax year. Not all fees that are paid are eligible fees. The T2202A only covers terms of studies that occur during the tax year in which you attended training or classes, not when you paid for the tuition. For example, if you paid for your courses in 2016 but they didn’t start until 2017, you will claim the amount on your 2017 taxes.

What fees are considered eligible fees and included in my T2202A tuition amount?

Academic fees; admission fees; charges for the use of library or laboratory facilities; examination fees; application fees (but only if the student later enrols in the institution); charges for a certificate, diploma, or degree; mandatory computer service fees; only books that are included in the total fees for a correspondence course; and athletic and health services fees.

What fees are not eligible and not included in my T2202A tuition amount?

Student Association fees; medical expenses; transportation and parking; meals and lodging; costs of goods of lasting value that you will keep (i.e. uniforms); professional association fees; cost of books not included in correspondence course fees; UPass charges; upgrading and leisure class fees.

How do I calculate my education and textbook credits?

These credits are calculated based on the number of full or part-time months from your T2202A. For full details refer to Income Tax folio S1-F2-C1 on the CRA website www.cra-arc.gc.ca.

How are the months calculated for my T2202A?

Full-time eligibility - to be eligible for a full-time month, the student must attend a minimum of 10 hours per week for three consecutive weeks.

Part-time eligibility – the student must attend at least three consecutive weeks to equal a minimum of 12 hours in a month

Important Note: Classes at SAIT are scheduled to run until 10 minutes to the hour. This affects your full or part-time month eligibility. For example, a class scheduled form from 1 pm until 2:50 pm qualifies for 2.83 hours on the month calculation for the T2202A.

My child attended a sports or summer camp at SAIT last summer. Will I be able to get a T2202A form?

Sport and summer camps do not qualify as tuition so a T2202A form is not produced. If you require a receipt for the Children’s Fitness or Art Tax Credit, please contact SAIT’s Finance Department at 403.210.5721 or by email at tax.questions@sait.ca.

Getting your T2202A

How do I obtain my T2202A form?

The T2202A form is available through mySAIT.ca. For instructions visit T2202A Printing Instructions

I need a copy of my T2202A from a prior tax year. How do I obtain it?

The T2202A forms from 2003 to the present year are available on mySAIT.ca

I do not have access to a printer; can SAIT print my T2202A form for me?

Printed copies can be requested in person from MC201 in the Stan Grad Centre. There is a charge of $15 per copy. Students also have the option of printing their T2202A by using one of the computers in the SAIT Library.

Can my T2202A form be faxed, mailed, or emailed to me?

No, your T2202A form is only available for printing through mySAIT.ca.

Error Message - “There is no T2202A information for you to view”

This error message means that there is no eligible tuition credit for you in the tax year that you have selected. Press the back button on your browser to return to the previous page and select a different tax year.

Error Message - “The System is unavailable. Please contact your institution.”

This error message means that there is no T2202A information available for you currently. This may happen when the T2202A information has not been released to students. Please log in to the system when the T2202A information for 2016 is released on February 29, 2017.


Can I print my T2202A form more than once?

Yes. After the first time you print the form, all copies will say “Duplicate” on it. This form is still considered an official copy by the CRA.

I printed my T2202A from mySAIT but my address is incorrect. Do I need a new form?

No. You can still use your T2202A form if the address is incorrect, but you should contact Student Services at 403.284.7248 to have your address updated for future correspondence.

When I click on the Printable T2202A Form (PDF) button, the pop-up window that opens displays an error message.

If you are trying to print from a company/work computer or laptop, this means that there are firewalls in place preventing the PDF from appearing. Please try printing from a home, SAIT library computer or iPhone.

When I click on the PDF Option my T2202A form does not appear.

When the PDF Option is selected, the PDF T2202A form opens in a pop-up window. Please disable any pop-up blockers in order to access the PDF T2202A form. For instructions visit Removing Pop-Up Blockers.


Who do I contact if I have questions about the tuition amount on my T2202A form?

You can contact SAIT’s Finance Department by email at tax.questions@sait.ca.

I have a question regarding filing my income tax return.

Refer to the CRA website, www.cra-arc.gc.ca or call 1.800.959.8281